Saturday, April 10, 2010

New Rocking Chair


The baby's room is like nicotine to me. I used to think that I would be a rational person about decorating it. Just a few odds and ends--nothing too fancy. Let's be practical. But it seems like I find myself adding to it and adding to it, and I'm always saying to Matt,"I'm just going to get this and then I'm done decorating the nursery. I promise." And I do mean it, but the stores....the stores are the ones to blame. They entice you. And not only do they entice but they also seduce. Yes, you need that little teddy bear. Yes, you need those wall decals of flowers. Yes, you need that paint and stenciling around the top of the room. And by the end of the day, you have no other recourse of action than to submit to the will of the shop. Punks.

I have recently been shoping for a rocking chair for the nursery. Nothing fancy, but something economical. Is it just me or is everything inflated in price in baby stores? A glider rocker in a furniture store is $150, but in a baby store it is $300-$400. But I do have to say that those $400 gliders are the Rolls Royce of gliders. It's like a cloud for the bootie. Anyway, I couldn't spend that. So I went on craigslist and looked for rocking chairs. You know, the old ones that your mother rocked you in--the ones with the nice butt-groove that hugs you? And I found a bunch, but then I found an almost brand new one for $30 bucks. $30 bucks! Can you believe that? So Matt and I snaked it before anyone else could. It looks so good. But I feel bad because I feel like getting a deal on Craigslist is like taking advantage of people's ignorance about prices. The mass market has made me feel that if I am not ripped off, then I should feel guilty about what I paid. How messed up is that? Of course my brother--who is the self-proclaimed king of free stuff on Craigslist--would probably say that if we didn't get it free then we didn't take that lady, she took us. Well there you go.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree! They pull you in and well - lets just say I totally get it. Is someone throwing you a baby shower? I would love to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at it this way. PersonA bought the product at full price. Got enough use out of it to justify getting rid of it. Instead of throwing it out to the dogs, they get a bit of money out if it. So your actually doing them, and the environment a favor.

    ReplyDelete