Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Zoe One Month Old


We're a little behind because in two days, Zoe will actually be two months old. But many of you have had babies, and as you all know, life temporarily stops for a second until you get the hang of caring for the baby and getting everything else accomplished. So I guess it's official: We've gotten the knack of having a baby around.

Four generation photo with Marilyn's family. Grandma Cooper, we want one with you too!


Welcome to Zoe's gun show.


Zoe one month old exaclty.


Zoe's flower headband that she hated.




Overall, I feel pretty good about how smoothly our transition has been since we went from "no kids" to "a kid." Adopting a baby can be somewhat crazy. There really is no adjustment period. One day you have no kids (or if you are like all of our friends, ten years without kids) and then WHAM! You have a baby the next day. Surprise. So you go from a restful night's sleep one day to being up every three hours the next day. It can be a little rough on you. But I’ve only cried once. I think it was while changing a diaper. Don’t be fooled folks—changing a poopie diaper after you have had zero sleep all night is definitely worth crying about. It’s a feeling akin to coming home from vacation and realizing your house has been robbed bare. All you mommies know what I’m talking about. It’s that diaper that finally breaks you.

Matt and I have been formulating several theories about things since having little Zoe.

1) Baby brain is real, even if you adopted a baby. Twice a week I drive the wrong way to a destination that I have been to a thousand times. Several weeks ago I got in the car to meet Matt at work and suddenly found myself at Target. How did I not realize where I was going? I have two words for that: Auto Pilot.


2) Men cannot put a baby asleep on their chests without a pillow. I know it’s discriminatory, but that’s nature. Men just don’t have the pillows. Every baby likes a pillow.

And to prove my case I have Exhibit A: Nana.


Exhibit B: Mommy.

I rest my case.

3) Every child, I don’t care how sweet, has a little devilish side. Check out the freak natural occurrence.

1 comment:

  1. OK, that last pictures is hilarious!! The first two months are the hardest, and it sounds like you are almost out of the woods in that department. Being a Mom is much easier once you get more than 3 consecutive hours of sleep. Me and Travis would take turns and that helped out a ton! Lets get together soon!

    ReplyDelete