Saturday, February 6, 2010

Thanksgiving & Christmas

This year for Thanksgiving we were supposed to go to Matt's grandparents' house in Colorado. I have never met Grandma and Grandpa Cooper before and Matt and I have been married almost four years. But Matt's grandma called off Thanksgiving a month before because she was really sick. So we had Thanksgiving at Matt's parents' house. It's always a toss-up on what kind of turkey we will have at Matt's parents' house. Matt's mom likes a traditional oven-baked turkey, but Matt's brother, Randy, likes a good 'ole Southern fried turkey. Now, many people make the mistake of thinking that just because I have lived in the South the whole of my life, and talk somewhat southern, that my family must make fried turkey and chitlings for every holiday. That's so narrow-minded. But I had not actually ever had a fried turkey until I met Matt's family. So Thanksgiving was good. We played Settler's of Catan with Matt's sister Amy and her two kids Keegan and Easton.

Christmas was also good. We were supposed to go to my mom's house for Christmas this year. But I got sick at the last second. That so sucks. Matt and I were sick together last Christmas and it was possibly the worst Christmas of my life. We actually drove an hour on Christmas Day, last year, just to find an urgent care that would give us some medicine. So my mother decided to bring Christmas to us this year because I was sick. To start a new tradition, she bought all of her kids festive holiday pjs and we all wore our pjs all Christmas Day. We ate lots of food and made Christmas crafts and even watched all the great Christmas classics: Mickey's Christmas Carol, A Christmas Story, and National Lampoon's Christmas. Matt would have liked to have added Mr. Kruegger's Christmas to that list, because that is one of his favorites, but he was out-voted by majority rule. We also went to a friend's White Elephant Christmas party and made really awesome gifts to give away. We made labels for our own pancake syrup and barbecue sauce. Check it out:

The first one is of me pretending to be Aunt Jemima and advertising my syrup. The second one is Matt, with BBQ sauce all over his face, advertising his yummy sauce. Just imagine recieving, as a gift, a bottle that had these pictures on it as a label. How funny is that?


No comments:

Post a Comment